(Two left.) Just in time for Bastille Day, French book arts boxes: a hand-curated selection of antique ephemera from my finds across France. Ideal for a variety of crafts, including art journals, altered books, mixed media, assemblage, and collage. All of the pieces are original and once they are gone, they are gone. Each box contains:
- One vintage rosary;
- Ten yards French linen thread (unwaxed);
- One spool French linen thread/twine;
- Vintage tin (distressed);
- Six buttons for gendarme uniforms (some distressed);
- Twenty celluloid buttons circa 1920s;
- Edition of La Mode Illlustrée, a womans fashion magazine. Each will date from the 1870s to the 1880s and comes in a signature with four pages;
- Edition of Paris Qui Chante, a theatre magazine from 1903, 8 pages;
- Handwritten legal document with embossed stamping, dates varies from 1840s to 1870s. One signature of two pages;
- French dictionary pages, 1846, two pages;
- Signature from French prayer book, 1822, eight pages;
- Handwritten ledger pages, circa 1902, two pages;
- selection of invoices and/or letters, 1860s to 1940s;
- Three cartes de visites (photographs), circa 1880s;
- One handwritten invoice folded in wrapper style ;
- Three playing cards, 1890;
- Four game cards, 1950s (?);
- Three vintage prayer cards;
- Signature from prayer book, 1811, seven pages;
- Signature from prayer book, 1834, seven pages;
- Signature from prayer book, 1611, four pages;
- Three vintage, [read more]
When I sell a handmade journal, I always send it with lots of extras, and over and over I got the same lovely compliment from happy paper fans: “This was better than Christmas!” So, yeah, I am shamelessly going to call these Better Than Christmas Book Arts Boxes.
Inside each one are over 50 pieces of paper and textile ephemera for making your own book or journal arts, including:
Now it really matters to me that you get something [read more]
This altered Altoid Tin features a beautiful belle (with a mighty fetching hat). She is an original, clipped from a carte de visite circa 1880s. I have added some wings and she is offset in the middle of this drawer for a 3-d effect. On the other side are images of bird’s nest and egg over an original, handwritten document from 1902. The front has been distressed with wood glue and blow torch, and I have embellished with another bird’s egg on tea bag. It measures 6cm x 10cm when closed.
Cost is £25 or $35 usd. Shipping is £3 ($4.00) [read more]
I am obsessed with old books, old clothes, and boy, am I ever obsessed with old movies. (I met my first husband at a silent movie double feature, so there.) One of my favourite stars ever is Gladys Cooper. She is best known as a renowned character actress in the 1940s at Warner Brothers. She starred opposite Bette Davis in Now Voyager (as the oppressive mother) and in Separate Tables opposite Deborah Kerr (as the oppressive mother). She was also in Alfred Hitchcock’s Rebecca as the really sweet sister to Laurence Olivier. What is less well known is that before all that she was a Great Beauty, when such a thing was a career.
Yesterday I hit the motherlode of Gladys Cooper postcards from her babe period. If you would like to use any of these for crafts or art journals, just right click on an image and click “Control C” then go to Word or Paint or whatever program you use for images and press “Control V.” If anyone would like a larger resolution, please contact me directly and I can send you a larger image. Enjoy!
To read a dishy biography of Ms. Cooper with clips from her films, go [read more]
Having a lot of fun with these altered book angels made from old cabinet photos and handwritten papers. They are so flirty and sweet and strange.
Book cover, French school book 1916. Woman cut from French cabinet card (with fragment of handwriting), 1917. Fragment of French, handwritten letter, 1903. Handcut wings from a variety of vintage French papers, and sheet music.
Measures 10 cm x 22 cm. All papers are original. These are not printed reproductions! It is wired for hanging, or the wire can be removed for framing. All of my pieces come with extra paper goodies. Cost is £45. Shipping worldwide is £5. You can use the PayPal button below for payment, even if you do not have a PayPal [read more]